IIBS students of section A attended the Industrial visit to KMF (Karnataka Co-operative Milk Producers’ Federation Ltd), Dairy Bangalore Unit on March 24, 2017. It was organized for the second semester MBA Students. The visit to the organization was organized by Dr. Prabhakar H and coordinated by the Section head Prof. Shanti J.
The team visited the plant with an objective to assess the production procedures and to gain knowledge about various technical aspects of a dairy plant including, R&D activity.
KMF is formed by the inspiration of GCMMF (Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd.). Karnataka Milk Federation which is most popular as KMF evolved itself as a premier and most profitable dairy farmers' organization in the State of Karnataka. KMF is the Apex Body for the dairy co-operative movement in Karnataka. It is the second largest dairy co-operative amongst the dairy cooperatives in the country. In South India, it stands first in terms of procurement as well as sales. One of the core functions of the Federation is marketing of Milk and Milk Products. The Brand "Nandini" is the household name for Pure and Fresh milk & milk products. KMF has 14 Milk Unions covering all the districts of the State which procure milk from Primary Dairy Cooperative Societies(DCS) and distribute milk to the consumers in various Towns/Cities/Rural markets in Karnataka.
The students were able to learn about the cooperative functioning, processes, management and other functions like learning about the quality testing of milk in KMF, supply chain process of KMF and also learn about the evolution of KMF.
Major Observations by the team are as follows:
- Hygienic (GMP & GLP) in treatment plants and in cold storage unit.
- Advanced automation ensures product quality and recent advance in technology was employed.
- All by-products are utilized and treated with well-established waste treatments.
- Quality and consistency were maintained.
- 80% market share in Karnataka, remaining at Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- Customer satisfaction and quality are the industry mission.
- The computerized chamber with major technical employees. It was visibly clear that the entire process in KMF plant is automated by machines, computers, and cleaning of pipelines, vessels, and filters by Clean in Process (CIP), which was also automated and frequency of every CIP to be initiated is 24 Hrs.
- The huge heat exchangers and refrigeration units for various heating and cooling procedures were experienced to the team.